Wednesday, March 16, 2016

An Encounter With The Lord Over Interracial Marriage...


This week we are looking at an event from history that is recorded for us in a section of a letter in the Old Testament of the Bible called the book of Numbers. Yesterday, we looked on as Moses, the author of the book of Numbers, brought us into this event from history by revealing a conflict that occurred between himself and Miriam and Aaron. Miriam and Aaron decided to challenge Moses leadership and authority in front of the entire nation and attempted to overthrow Moses from his position of leadership and authority so that they could instead be in the position of leadership and authority over the Jewish people.

Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because they did not like the fact that Moses had entered into an interracial marriage by marrying a Cushite woman. And as a result of Moses entering into this interracial marriage, Miriam and Aaron felt compelled to challenge Moses leadership and authority. Miriam and Aaron felt compelled to challenge Moses leadership and authority because they believed that they were superior to Moses.

They believed that they were superior to Moses because Moses had demonstrated that he was inferior by marrying someone from another race that they believed that they were superior to. Miriam and Aaron’s racism led them to challenge their brother as being inferior as a result of his marriage to someone that they viewed as being from an inferior race. Moses, in his humility, did not feel the need to defend himself. However, while Moses humility was driving him to not defend himself, as the Lord heard the racism of Miriam and Aaron, He was driven to defend Moses.

As Miriam and Aaron challenged Moses, the voice of the Lord called Miriam, Aaron, and Moses to the Tent of the Meeting. Today, we see Moses reveal what happened next in the second half of Numbers 12:5:

When they had both come forward, He said, "Hear now My words: If there is a prophet among you, I, the LORD, shall make Myself known to him in a vision. I shall speak with him in a dream. "Not so, with My servant Moses, He is faithful in all My household; With him I speak mouth to mouth, Even openly, and not in dark sayings, And he beholds the form of the LORD. Why then were you not afraid To speak against My servant, against Moses?" So the anger of the LORD burned against them and He departed.

Now the Lord’s statement to Miriam and Aaron, if it was communicated in the language we use in our culture today, would have sounded something like this: “Now I want you two to listen very carefully to what I am about to say. I, the Lord, when I want to make myself know to an ordinary prophet, I do so in the form of a vision or a dream. Those who I usually use to proclaim My message to My people and the world usually receive My word in a vision of a dream. But My man Moses over there, his not some ordinary prophet. My man Moses over there, he serves Me faithfully like no one else. And because of that reality, I speak to Moses personally; I make My presence present when I speak with Moses. And when I speak with My man Moses, I speak openly and clearly. And Moses has spoken and been in My presence like no one else around here, let alone you two. So based on the relationship that Moses has as My representative and My special leader, why are you so unafraid to challenge his leadership and authority? What makes you think that you can view him as being inferior to you because he chose to marry someone who you think is of an inferior race.”

Notice that the Lord does not speak to Moses. Notice that the Lord does not call out Moses for violating one of His commands. Notice that the Lord does not address Moses for marrying an African black woman. The Lord did not call out Moses because Moses did not enter into an interreligious marriage which would have violated His commands.

Moses did not enter an interreligious marriage; Moses had entered into an interracial marriage. Instead, the Lord’s anger burned against Miriam and Aaron for their selfishness and rebellion in a way that resulted in the Lord intervening to defend Moses, who was too humble to defend himself.  And in the Lord’s right and just anger over the selfishness and rebellion of Miriam and Aaron, there would be consequences.

Friday, we will discover those consequences together...

No comments:

Post a Comment