Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Power Outage

Why does it seem like so many Christians struggle with following Jesus teachings? Most people who are skeptical about the claims of Christ often use the hypocrisy of Christians to bolster their claims. They point to the fact that many Christians day to day lives look no different than those who do not believe the claims of Christ or follow Him. But why do followers of Jesus struggle to actually follow Him? Could it be that followers of Jesus are trying to follow Him without relying on His power to follow Him? What I find amazingly interesting is that the Bible teaches us that God's power not only rescues us from our sins; God's power also equips and empowers us to live the Christian life. A man named Ezekiel, who was God's spokesperson, revealed this reality to us in Ezekiel 36:26-27:

"Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. "I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances".

Could it be that followers of Jesus struggle to follow His teachings because they are trying to live the Christian life in their own power, instead of the power of the Holy Spirit? Someone once said that "the Christian life is not easy; the Christian life is not difficult; the Christian life is impossible apart from the Holy Spirit's power". Now I am not talking about rolling on the floor, chewing on the carpet stuff; I am talking about living a life that is surrendered, controlled and led by the Holy Spirit.

So what power is fueling your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment